A Passionate Commitment
Over many years Akamba, a unique Birmingham Garden Centre, have been supporting the Brainhouse Academy in Nairobi with small fundraising activities and personal support. This was support was started by Chris Canaan who had been visiting and working in Kenya for over 20 years.
Whilst working in the slums of Mathare Nairobi Chris came across a small school in need of desperate help, after talking to the headmaster about the schools immediate needs, it was decided that a full tummy was the right road to getting an education, on Chris’s return to the UK he started talking to his various business friends and lobbying his customers at Akamba to raise funds for the Brainhouse Academy, with the generous support of the Akamba customers money was reaching the school each month to buy the basics ( beans, rice and maize).
How we make a difference:
- Provide better facilities, including clean water and power that will meet the needs of the children.
- Introduce sustainable horticulture to initiate a more balanced diet and feeding programme.
- Improve the children’s general health and well being, supporting particular children with severe health needs.
- Provide a better standard of education through the introduction of creative education.
- Widen the children’s education to sport and art.
- Introduce links with UK schools and the voluntary sector.
- Connect the lives of these inspiring children with the lives of our amazing volunteers – enriching both.